1. Home
  2. »
  3. Referencing



Hawks independently reference each adult and guarantor applying for a tenancy in full. We do this so we can verify your income and assess your suitability for a tenancy. We will obtain employment references (to ensure you have sufficient income), previous landlord or letting agent references (to find out if you’ve paid your rent on time and if you looked after the property) and a credit check (to ensure you don’t have any CCJs, IVAs or bankruptcies).


Employment references

If you are employed, your employer will be asked to complete a reference to confirm your income and employment status. The reference must be provided on company letterhead or be from an email address belonging to a company domain.

Your employer must confirm that they are not aware of any change in your employment circumstances for the term of your tenancy.

If you are starting a new job, we will assess your application on the basis of your new employment.

If you are currently unemployed but you are starting a new job, your new employer must verify that your job starts within 31 days of the tenancy start date.

If you are employed by a relative, you must provide independent evidence of your salary. You will need to provide details of the company accountant and provide us with your last three months’ payslips.

Self-employment references

You must have been self-employed for at least the last two years.

You will need to provide us with your accountant’s details and we will ask your accountant to verify your income. Your accountant must be fully qualifed and registered with a recognised accountancy body in the UK. We cannot accept references from book-keepers.

If you do not use an accountant, we can accept two years’ of authenticated self-assessment tax return forms.

Independent means

You might have income independent of any employment. If you are of independent means, you will need to supply us with the following as proof of your ability to pay the rent:

  • Bank or building society statements showing your long-term savings. Specifically, you’ll need to show you’ve had the savings for at least six months and that your savings total at least three times the total rent for the tenancy term (an initial tenancy term is normally six months). Or;
  • A solicitors letter confirming you are in receipt of sufficient equity from a property sale.

Pensions/retired persons

If you are a pensioner or have retired you will need to provide a copy of your annual pension statement, your monthly pension slip or your most recent P60.

If you are not receiving a pension, you can supply the following as proof of your ability to pay the rent:

  • Statements showing long-term savings. You’ll need to show you’ve had the savings for at least six months and that your savings total three times the total rent for the tenancy term.
  • Statements showing state pension or benefits

Other types of income

In some circumstances, we may take the following types of income into consideration:


When this type of income can be considered

Disability Living Allowance

Can be considered with a copy of the statement or other notification from the Benefits Agency confirming the entitlement.

Long term incapacity benefit

Can be considered with a copy of the statement or other notification from the Benefits Agency confirming the entitlement. The benefit must cover the term of the tenancy.

Working tax credit and Child tax credit

Can be considered with a copy of the Tax Credits Award from HMRC. For Child tax credit, we cannot accept the childcare element.


Can be considered when we can verify the amount received with an accountant


Housing benefit

We do not normally accept applications from tenants in receipt of housing benefit. However, consideration could be given for the advance payment of the rent for the fixed term of the tenancy and with a UK based Homeowner Guarantor.

For details of other letting agents that can help, contact your local council.

Landlord and Letting Agent references

If you currently live in rented property or have done at any time in the last six months, we will ask your landlord or letting agent to confirm that you have paid your rent in full and on time and that the property has been well maintained.


Frequently Asked Questions


Yes. As a responsible letting agent, we fully reference all adults and guarantors applying for a property to rent. We need to ensure each person we are entering into a tenancy agreement with is able to comfortably afford the rent.


A guarantor is someone who does not actually live at the property you are renting but who promises to pay the rent (or meet other conditions of your tenancy agreement) in the event that you don’t. There are certain circumstances where you will be asked to provide a suitable guarantor for your tenancy.


Depending on your own status and that of any of your co-tenants, you may be asked to provide a guarantor. Typically it is because extra security is required due to your credit or employment status.


A guarantor must:

  • Be a UK resident
  • Have a good credit history
  • Have an income of at least three times (3x) the rent. We must be able to verify this income.
  • Provide identification and proof of residency
  • Be prepared to enter into a legally binding and enforceable Deed of Guarantee


A guarantor provides a guarantee for the entire tenancy, not just for individuals on a tenancy. Unless we agree to release the guarantor from the agreement early, the guarantee will remain in place until you finish renting the property.