1. Home
  2. »
  3. Tenants / Preparing To Move In

Tenants | Preparing to Move In



Preparing to move in

Whether you’re doing it yourself, have persuaded your friends and family to help you, or are hiring a removals firm, moving house is never going to be stress free.

Taking time to try and be as organised as possible can help you minimise the stress and make moving into your new property as pleasant as possible. We’ve compiled a series of useful tips and tricks to help you prepare for moving day:

Moving into your new property

Get organised! Allow yourself plenty of time to get packed and ready to move, including getting rid of things you don’t want or think you’ll need.

  • Collect boxes and other packaging material, like bubble wrap, in advance to ensure your more fragile items are well protected.
  • Pick a day(s) best suited to you to move in on. Choosing a day where you’re already busy will only create more stress.
  • Have a standard letter or email prepared so that you can notify utility companies, bank, doctors, places of work, DVLA etc that you are moving. This way all your post and bill will be redirected to the new address.
  • Make sure you have sorted utility companies for your new property and ensure you take meter readings on your moving in day.
  • Set up a postal re-direct. Try to do this as much in advance is possible, to minimise the chances of your post going astray.
  • Notify the company you have purchased contents insurance with that you are now moving in and need cover to start.

 Getting contents insurance

When you’re preparing to move to a new house, getting contents insurance to protect your possessions is vital. Should your items get damaged, replacing them can be expensive, particularly if they’re valuable or many things are damaged.

Hawks Estate Agents recommend working with an insurance company like HomeLet, who provide protection for thousands of tenants across the UK.

Your HomeLet policy

As part of your tenancy agreement, you might have been asked by your Letting Agent/Landlord to cover your liability as a tenant.

Covering your liability as a tenant basically means that you’re responsible for having the necessary funds to cover yourself in case you accidentally damage your landlord’s property, furniture, fittings or fixtures.

If you are being held liable for damages, it might be worthwhile investing in an insurance policy which will cover this.

Similarly, you may also want insurance which will cover your contents in the event they are accidentally damaged.

Why you should choose HomeLet

HomeLet’s Tenant’s Contents Insurance+ offers you coverage for both your contents and your liability.

If you’re looking to Thousands of tenants living in rented homes across the UK choose HomeLet to provide them with the protection they need.

For more information, or to get a quote for tenant’s insurance why not contact us today!

Contact HomeLet

Call today for a quote: 0800 177 6000

They are open: Monday to Friday 8.30am – 8pm Saturday 9.30am -1pm

Online: homelet.co.uk/tenants